Sole Representative visa

A person from outside the EEA can obtain a visa to come to the UK to work:

  • as a sole  representative of an overseas business to establish their branch or subsidiary company in the UK, or
  • as an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

If you are coming to the UK as a sole representative you must:

  • be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principal place of business are outside the UK
  • have extensive related industry experience and knowledge
  • hold a senior position within the company (but not be a major shareholder) and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf
  • intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK, eg a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary

You may also be eligible if the company has a legal entity in the UK that doesn’t employ staff or transact business.

The Sole Representative visa is usually given to the applicant for an initial period of 3 years but can be extended for another 2 years. Dependents may accompany the Sole Rep person to the UK.  After a five year period of residing in the UK, the Sole Rep person and their dependents are eligible to apply for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

RKG Consulting will be pleased to advise how to structure the sole representative visa application, which documents must be submitted and prepare a business plan for the newly established UK business.