UK Work Visas

Overseas groups with UK projects first need to set-up a UK company and then get that UK entity to apply for a Sponsor licence before they can hire or transfer migrants to work in the UK on Skilled Worker or Global Business Mobility visas.  Below are some common business scenarios and the solutions we offer.

Sponsorship Licence – first step towards Skilled Worker or GBM work visas

The Sponsor licence is the first step for UK companies which need to hire Skilled Workers or for overseas companies which need to hire or transfer skilled staff to the UK for work.   Skilled workers from outside the UK might be engineers needed to work on UK contracts, bankers, lawyers, architects or other professionals. The prospective employer needs to first have a UK entity such as a company or a branch. The UK entity will then apply for a Sponsor Licence in the Skilled Worker category.  The UK subsidiary or branch of overseas groups may additionally require their licence to include the Global Business Mobility (GBM) visa category which enables senior or specialist migrants who have been employed by the group overseas for a stipulated period to be immediately deputed to the UK for up to 5 years normally. A Skilled Worker licence allows the UK employer to employ migrants already in the UK or to employ new hires from abroad.  Work visas require a minimum salary level to be paid.  There are certain “shortage occupations” such as in the IT, software, engineering design and development and many other sectors where there are fast-track processes for work visas for suitably qualified and experienced migrants.

Skilled Worker visas

To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, a migrant must:

  • work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office (be on the list of Sponsors)
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
  • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid a minimum salary – how much depends on the type of work you do
  • be able to speak, read, write and understand English (have a recognised degree taught in English or must have passed an approved English language test).

Your prospective employer can apply for a visa for up to 5 years after which you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency in the UK (known as Indefinite Leave to Remain).  Once you have received a job offer from a prospective UK employer please contact us.  We are not a recruitment agency and we cannot arrange jobs for prospective migrants.

Health & Care Worker visas

A Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.  Applicants must be a qualified doctor, nurse, health or adult social care professional and must work in an eligible health or social care job for an employer that has been approved by the Home Office.

UK Expansion Worker visas

A UK Expansion Worker visa allows you to come to the UK to set up a branch of an overseas business that has not started trading in the UK yet. You must already work abroad for the overseas business as either a senior manager or specialist employee.  You must have a valid certificate of sponsorship from the UK employer.  The maximum time you can spend in the UK on the UK Expansion Worker visa is 2 years.

Visas that do not require a job offer

India Young Professionals Scheme visa 

An India Young Professionals Scheme visa allows Indian citizens between 18 and 30 years old to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. You must be selected in the India Young Professionals Scheme ballot before you can apply for this visa. To be eligible for the visa you must be an Indian citizen, be between 18 and 30 years old,  have an eligible qualification and have £2,530 in savings.  

Youth Mobility Scheme visa 

You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa if you want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years, are aged 18 to 30, have £2,530 in savings, have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries or territories listed in the eligibility requirements.

Graduate visa

A Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK. You must be in the UK when you apply.

High Potential Individual (HPI) visa

A High Potential Individual (HPI) visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years. To apply, you must have been awarded a qualification by an eligible university in the last 5 years.  An HPI visa usually lasts for 2 years. If you have a PhD or other doctoral qualification, it will last for 3 years.  You cannot extend your HPI visa. However, you may be able to switch to a different visa, for example a Skilled Worker visa.

For futher information regarding our UK visa services please email: